Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It's getting cooler...

...thank God!!! When I ride my bike to school in the morning (a 40 minute trek that has some crazy hills to climb), I am much more comfortable. In August and September, I would arrive at school drenched in sweat from the already cruelly hot sun. Now, there is a delicious, cool breeze in the morning and just the right amount of warmth from the sun. Yay! I can't wait until the leaves start changing, although I've been told that that doesn't really happen until November. However, I may regret the loss of the hot weather when it is December and I have to live without central heating for the first time in my life.

I haven't posted for awhile, but life has been sort of calming down recently. I am settling into a routine. I have gotten to the point where I think of my remaining time in Japan with confidence and contentment, as opposed to fear or homesickness (which happened quite frequently at the beginning). I know what is expected of me at school, I am familiar with many of my colleagues, and I have been teaching for about a month. (More about teaching in my other blog...I intend on finally updating that one!) I am also steadily learning more Japanese and have done some admittedly small, but significant, things by myself. For example, I have: gone to the post office and mailed packages, set up wireless internet in my apartment, checked out books from the super nice ladies at the international center (they have a bunch of English books, including Harry Potter!) and bought furniture! Exciting stuff. :)


I haven't done much traveling or gone to any huge social events recently, but I intend on going to some cultural events and festivals in the near future. About three weeks ago, there was a big JET beach party. I had a blast! I was actually able to overcome my shyness--which usually strikes at big social events--and have some really good conversations with several people! Adding to the awesomeness was a beer festival just up the beach. I think I tried 6 or 7 kinds of beer (the best kinds, I thought, were the stout beers....sooooo nutty and delicious)....and a Sam Adams for nostalgia's sake. We also had some grills set up, so I had some delicious grilled chicken and eggplant. Nicole and I hitched a tent and slept on the beach...and in the morning, I got up and watched the sun rise. Absolutely stunning....


That day, I went with Stephanie, Nick, and Keith to an onsen. For those of you who don"t know, an onsen is a Japanese hot spring, or spa. This one was in a hotel right on the beach (with a great ocean view!). This was definitely an interesting experience. There was a male onsen and a female onsen. You go in and completely strip, and then wash your body before getting in the hot spring water. At first this was kind of awkward, being naked with a bunch of strangers, but you get used to it quickly. And the water was soooo clean and rejuvenating. Definitely not like being in a hot tub at, say, a Best Western where you have no idea what sorts of nasty things are in the water. This water was the purest you can get. After relaxing in the hot water, you sit under a little "waterfall" that massages your back and then get into a sauna. When you feel ready to pass out from heat, you submerge yourself in a cold bath. Let me tell you, the sensation of getting in the cold bath after the heat is incredible. I felt soooooo relaxed. Then you can repeat the process. I definitely intend on going back.

A couple of weeks ago, I went with two of my colleagues to the ruins of Obi Castle in Nichinan City. The ruins were stunningly beautiful. I literally felt as though I had time travelled. Where the original castle used to be was the greenest, most peaceful forest I have ever seen. After walking around the ruins, we went on a "tour" of the city as part of our entrance fee. We stopped in an adorable cafe and had a great conversation with the owners, who had been to America. We also got to try some local foods, and pick up some souvenirs.
We also went to a wonderful seafood restaurant for lunch. It was right on the ocean, on a cliff, and the restaurant was filled with little pools where they kept the lobsters and clams. It doesn`t get much fresher than that! They brought us our seafood raw and we cooked it ourselves on a grill next to the table.

I have been having fun with the other JETs in the city--going out to the awesome "80s" bar and karaoke-ing until the wee hours of the morning, having dinner at an awesome Indian restaurant (with the best cheese and garlic nan EVER), and going to yoga classes on Wednesday nights. Last weekend, my apartment buddies and I had a game night at Nicole's apartment and much hilarity ensued. We played "Trailer Park Wars" and re-enacted the scene on the front of the Japanese twister game. Good times :)

For all of you back home, I have good news! I am coming home for Christmas!! I leave Japan on December 18th and will be home until the 6th of January. Can't wait to see everyone!


Love and miss you! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment